Nursing education is challenging. Writing hundreds of tedious nursing research pieces is the most frustrating part. But we know how to help you! Discover 350 exciting nursing research topics and learn how to choose the best one.
350 Interesting Nursing Research Topics
Nursing research topics for college students can cover various areas of this field. Below you will find a list of 350 exciting ideas, which we have divided into different areas of activity. No matter what nursing research is in your sphere of interest. We’ve got you covered! You can also check research essay samples on the same topic for more inspiration.
Primary Care Research Topics
Primary care is the leading clinical service that sustains the health of an entire nation. The study of this topic is mandatory for the stable development of the healthcare system. Here are primary nursing research titles examples:
- The role of private health care providers in primary care.
- Peculiarities of vaccination in rural areas.
- Basic methods for assessing the quality of primary care.
- The role of modern technology in primary care.
- Basic techniques of evaluating the patient’s health.
- Private sector activities in primary care.
- The necessity to provide childcare services.
- Vaccination programs: pros and cons.
- The role of social workers in primary care.
- Responsibility of the pharmacist for public health.
- Effective methods of asthma prevention.
- Advantages and disadvantages of home nursing care.
- Vaccination of the elderly: challenges and potential benefits.
- Principles of preventive medicine: primary care for the elderly.
- Migraine diagnosis and treatment methods.
- Innovative methods in cardiology.
- Major causes of anxiety disorders in adults.
- Effective ways of taking anamnesis.
- Methods for diagnosing stroke in the elderly.
- Basic precautions for Parkinson’s disease.
- Basic requirements for intensive care.
- Sleep disorders in women.
- Standard protocol for the treatment of headache in adults.
- Basic guidelines for primary care for disaster victims.
- The role of government agencies in primary care.
Based on previous papers, you can try to come up with your nursing research topics, for example, on infection control.
Research Topics in Public Health
The public health area has a strong connection with government issues. However, it is doctors who study the basis of all problems. So, let’s check out these special nursing research paper topics!
- Effectiveness of government programs to prevent drug addiction.
- What role do parents play in promoting children’s health?
- Features of the school nurses’ work.
- The importance of proper nutrition and exercise.
- Telemedicine: advantages and disadvantages.
- The role of government in providing nursing education.
- The importance of long-term care facilities to the healthcare system.
- Promoting healthy lifestyle in old age.
- Sedentary change programs for adolescents.
- Educational strategies for healthcare organizations in social media.
- Ways to educate young people about a positive body image.
- Formation of public behavior in the problem of cancer prevention.
- Occupational health and safety for workers in hazardous professions.
- Government AIDS awareness programs.
- State programs to increase awareness of heart disease.
- Government programs aimed at maintaining a healthy work environment.
- Health promotion methods.
- Companies against alcohol: examples from history.
- Raising awareness of the importance of vaccines.
- How is lung cancer related to air condition?
- Promotion of activity among children with disabilities.
- Government mental health awareness programs.
- Improving individual health as a way to counter epidemics.
- Ways of transmission of infectious diseases.
- Educating children about the importance of sports.
Public health is an excellent topic choice for a nursing dissertation. Try it!
Emergency Nursing Research Topics
New studies are essential for new practical approaches for nurses in emergencies. Try to discover new methods with these critical care nursing research topics!
- How to deal with anaphylactic shock?
- Effective methods of providing emergency care.
- Features of decision-making by a nurse in critical situations.
- Analysis of the effectiveness of emergency assistance in case of accidents.
- Analysis of the extreme degrees of pain in a patient.
- Diagnosing problems in ER.
- Emergency training methods.
- How to increase chances to save a drowning person?
- Models for reducing violence in emergency departments.
- The problem of rural residents’ access to ambulance services.
- Can relatives stay close to the patient during resuscitation?
- What effect do tasers have on the development of heart disease?
- Diagnosing sepsis in emergencies.
- Effective methods of dealing with the effects of using pepper sprays.
- Screening for alcohol and drug addiction in adolescents.
- The role of ambulance crews in the fight against human trafficking.
- Identification and assistance to victims of violence.
- How to deal with unwanted patient behavior?
- Pediatric trauma and shock.
- Psychiatric screening in first aid cars.
- Ways to develop tolerance in first-aid workers.
- Effective ER worker behavior models.
- The role of private clinics in providing emergency services.
- The role of nurses in the ambulance crew.
- Common causes of death in ER patients.
- Correct gender policy towards ER staff.
- How to organize a working emergency care system?
- How to help relatives survive the death of a patient?
- Techniques for teaching nurses to diagnose and respond to life threats quickly.
These nursing research topics for critical care would be an excellent choice for your papers!
Midwifery Research Topics
Midwifery is one of the more challenging medical areas. We picked 30 of the best nursing research topics on pregnancy and prenatal care to help you improve your knowledge! Take a look:
- Excess weight problems during pregnancy.
- How to analyze the effectiveness of childbirth?
- Disease prevention during pregnancy.
- Effective methods of newborn resuscitation.
- Features of adolescent education in gynecology.
- Prenatal nursing care.
- Precautions for preterm labor.
- Rules of conduct for staff in the delivery room.
- Basic rules for saving mother and child.
- Preparing staff and the patient for a caesarean section.
- Preventing depression during pregnancy.
- Features and importance of family planning.
- Childbirth in water: advantages and disadvantages.
- Features of caring for pregnant women with breast cancer.
- The influence of the autonomic nervous system on the course of pregnancy.
- Methods for predicting preeclampsia.
- Diseases of the cervix associated with human papillomavirus.
- Frequency and possible complications of pregnancy and cervical disease.
- Treatment tactics of pregnancy complications in women with disorders of the upper urinary tract.
- Identifying asymptomatic pregnancy complications.
- The use of modern technologies in the treatment of fetal diseases.
- Features of the reproductive system after termination of pregnancy.
- Reasons for using iodine supplementation during pregnancy.
- Prevention of complications after operations on the pelvic organs.
- Impact of epilepsy on reproductive health.
- Features of reproductive behavior in students and ways to correct it.
- The effect of oral contraceptives on the contents of immune complexes in the blood.
- Operative delivery and influence on the child.
- Psychological assistance to patients with infertility.
Remember some of these nursing research topics on midwifery. Profs love them!
Neonatal Nursing Research Topics
Neonatal studies are one of the most innovative medical spheres. Check out this brilliant list of research topics for nursing students in the neonatal area. They will help you better understand the neonatal care importance.
- Features of neonatal practice in rural areas.
- The leading causes of child mortality.
- How neonatal care has evolved in recent decades.
- Hygiene of newborns and skincare for babies.
- Postpartum infant care basics.
- Principles of breastfeeding infants.
- Predicting feeding problems and treatments.
- The leading causes of seizures in newborns and methods of treatment.
- Eating disorder in infants.
- Methods for predicting diseases in newborn children.
- Effective medical practices for babies.
- Nursing ethics for newborn care.
- Features of modern neonatal practices.
- Features of the development of the pulmonary tract of newborns.
- Studies of the lungs of a newborn: functions and structural features.
- Influence of inflammatory processes on the infant’s brain.
- The role of biomarkers in the diagnosis of traumatic brain injury in infants.
- The importance of neonatal health services.
- Basic strategies for modeling neonatal education.
- Monitoring the quality of neonatal services.
- Influence of neonatal care on the further treatment of a newborn.
- Impact of maternal obesity on infant development.
- Causes of abnormal neurological development in children.
- Use of hormones to regulate fetal lung development.
- Diagnosis of diaphragmatic hernia in infants.
- Potential lung disease in premature babies.
- Using nitric oxide to treat premature babies.
- Parental drug use and effects on fetal neurological development.
- Use of biomarkers for neonatal sepsis.
A nursing dissertation on neonatal issues is always a wise choice!
Pediatric Nursing Research Topics
Studies in pediatrics are aimed to help students discover children’s health issues to solve. Innovative approaches are mandatory to fight modern challenges. Check out these research topics for nursing students; they’ll help you become more informed:
- Features of the treatment of children with autism.
- Childhood obesity problem.
- Features of vaccination of minors.
- Therapy for speech disorders.
- Causes of diabetes in young people.
- Music therapy and phlebotomy.
- Suboptimal diabetes: causes and methods of intervention.
- Causes of increased fatigue in adolescents.
- HIV prevention in adolescence.
- Preventing unwanted teenage pregnancies.
- Features of the use of painkillers in children.
- Methods for analyzing adolescent behavior.
- Features of the work of the pediatric department in schools.
- Ways to connect with your child.
- Pediatric care basics.
- How can a healthcare professional deal with adolescent aggression?
- Reducing the risk in children receiving oxygen therapy.
- The role of molecular markers in the diagnosis of childhood leukemia.
- Psychological help for children with cancer.
- Assessment of language models in children with autism.
- The use of stem cells in the treatment of childhood diseases.
- How do environmental problems affect the development of a child’s body?
- Implications of passive smoker syndrome for children.
- Possible complications of measles in children.
- Methods for diagnosing asthma in children.
- Common causes of Tourette’s syndrome in children.
- How does anorexia affect cognitive function in children?
- Diagnosis of ear infections in childhood.
We guess this ultimate list of research topics in pediatric nursing will be helpful for you!
Nutrition Research Topics for College Students
The eating habits of modern people can be harmful to the body. Therefore, doctors are seriously studying the current problems in this area. Here you can find tons of excellent nursing research topics on nutrition and its possible issues.
- Nutrition assistance for the elderly.
- Effects of stress on childhood metabolism.
- Prevention of obesity in adolescents.
- Linking diet to behavioral changes.
- How social media influences teen food choices.
- Predicting and assessing diabetes.
- The problem of dietary intervention in the elderly.
- Promoting healthy eating as a way to fight obesity.
- Nursing promotion of healthy homemade food.
- Effects of good nutrition on fetal development.
- How does nutrition affect a child’s development?
- Root causes of weight gain: a clinical study.
- Common diseases caused by poor nutrition.
- Nutrition screening for the elderly.
- The nutritional problem of children with autism.
- Baby food: preventing eating disorders.
- Diet as a cause of dementia development in adults.
- Osteoporosis: the role of diet in disease prevention.
- The role of diet in healthy aging.
- What is the relationship between cancer and diet?
- The main benefits of a healthy diet: advice to patients.
- The role of parents in maintaining healthy eating habits in children.
- The relationship between healthy eating and cognitive development.
- Modern trends in youth nutrition.
- The nurse’s role in maintaining quality nutrition for pregnant women.
- Innovative nursing nutritional care.
Now let’s move to the next section – research topics in mental health!
Mental Health Nursing Research Topics
Mental health problems are more relevant now than ever. According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, nearly 20% of the US adult population suffers from mental health problems. That’s why psychiatry research topics capture the interest of college students.
- Features of mental disorder in alcohol dependence.
- How does police work affect mental health?
- The connection between video games and the development of teenage aggression.
- How is schizophrenia diagnosed?
- Features of bipolar mental disorder.
- Causes and prevention of drug addiction.
- Mental health problems of athletes after physical injuries.
- Conditions for the use of psychotherapy.
- Reasons and methods for tackling health imbalances.
- Brain stimulation techniques.
- Diversity of sexual orientation psychology features.
- Methods for dealing with physical violence.
- The effectiveness of traditional methods of treating mental illness.
- Features of mental support for the patient’s relatives.
- The role of nurses in the management of geriatric patients with mental disorders.
- Combating burnout in the practice of healthcare professionals.
- The phenomenon of occupational deformation as a type of mental disorder.
- Chest pain as a symptom of mental health problems in adults.
- The relationship between increased risk of cancer and depression.
- Basic treatments for dementia.
- The practice of mirror therapy in rehabilitation.
- Methods to help victims of violence.
- Helping patients after a stroke.
- The use of antipsychotics: benefits and harms.
- How belly massage helps fight residual stomach volume.
We believe you’re going to find one of the best psychiatric nursing research topics!
Healthcare Management Research Topics
The effective functioning of the health care system is impossible without competent leadership. Therefore, nursing research study topics on healthcare management are as important as the others!
- Assessment of the economic component of primary health care.
- How does bias affect healthcare funding?
- How to properly organize health care at home?
- The Importance of a Unified Nursing Code.
- Gender policy in health management.
- Features of the initial stages of private medical practice.
- The importance of the apology law.
- Features of selling medical marijuana.
- Features of healthcare contracts.
- The problem of the shortage of men in healthcare.
- Medicare: how to get benefits.
- How to improve the minimum level of nursing training?
- Staff uniform rules.
- Legal risks of medical personnel.
- Gender bias in nursing.
- Features of the organization of the first aid service in private sector.
- Risk management in healthcare.
- Ways to solve staffing problems in healthcare.
- Ensuring the personnel safety from infectious diseases.
- Strategies to improve the emotional health of employees.
- What is the danger of not having enough nursing staff for patients?
- Personnel policy in public medical institutions.
- International nursing training.
- Basic principles of management in healthcare facilities.
- Possible ways to get a nursing promotion.
These nursing research titles on healthcare management will impress your professors!
Medical Ethics Research Paper Topics
Controversial issues in the field of medical ethics are felt more and more acutely every year. That is why they need to be solved, and research topics related to nursing ethics present a good opportunity for highlighting them:
- Particular ethics of data collection in primary care.
- The ethical dilemma of abortion.
- Moral choice in opioid addiction.
- Features of ethics in helping the homeless.
- Ethics of care for patients with mental disorders.
- Phantom pain phenomenon.
- Features of cultural perception in the work of nurses.
- The role of relatives in the treatment of geriatric patients.
- Ethics of the need to increase sales in medicine.
- The problem of sexualizing the image of a nurse.
- The importance of solving moral dilemmas in nursing.
- Assisting female patients by male nurses.
- Ethics of care for geriatric patients.
- The problem of compulsory vaccination: solutions.
- The dilemma of artificial feeding of patients.
- Ethics of nursing in preventive medicine.
- The importance of a hospital work ethic.
- The U.S. standard of ethics for nursing.
- The difference in medical ethics in Asian countries and European countries.
- How can medical ethics conflict with religious beliefs?
- Assisting suicide as a dilemma in medical ethics.
- The impact of cultural patterns on medical ethics.
- Child maltreatment: a medical ethics dilemma.
- Implementation of international medical ethics standards for healthcare development.
- Methods for monitoring compliance with medical ethics.
Nursing ethics research questions have a tendency to be the most interesting ones!
Nursing Leadership Paper Topics
The principle of developing leadership among nurses is vital for improving the performance of any clinic. This list consists of 30 nursing research topics about leadership in healthcare field:
- Which skills are necessary for effective nursing leadership performance?
- The nurse’s role in providing quality health care.
- Why is it important for nurses to attend medical conferences?
- Features of the classification of nurses.
- What is a retention strategy for experienced nurses?
- The problem of obtaining a diploma for a nurse.
- Nursing leadership: key challenges and opportunities.
- Ethical issues in nursing leadership.
- Protecting staff interests in nursing management.
- Effective nursing leadership styles.
- Ways to develop nursing leadership in private healthcare facilities.
- Nursing manual: Betty Newman theory.
- The importance of intuitiveness in the workplace.
- Patient advocacy opportunities for the lead nurse.
- Nursing manual: theory of intellectual capital.
- Effective models of professional practice in nursing.
- Professional opportunities for nursing graduates in nursing leadership.
- Transformational leadership model for nursing.
- Fundamental theories for effective nursing leadership.
- Methods for applying leadership theories to nursing.
- What is the need for effective nursing leadership?
- Methods for monitoring the effectiveness of nursing leadership.
- Principles of delegation of authority in nursing leadership practice.
- The importance of nursing leadership in strategic hospital planning.
- Nursing leadership as a method to retain experienced staff.
Evidence-based nursing topics on leadership can become a great start to your career!
Easy Topics for Nursing Qualitative and Quantitative Research
The division into qualitative and quantitative research can be confusing. But don’t worry, we’ll help you figure it out! Each type of nursing research topic and other materials may depend on dry numbers or subjective opinions. Keep reading for more detailed information and examples of quantitative and qualitative research topics in nursing!
Qualitative vs. Quantitative Nursing Research
Empirical research methods can be divided into two broad categories: quantitative and qualitative. As their name suggests, each view relies on specific types of data. Therefore, your nursing paper topics can also reveal either qualitative or quantitative aspects of the problem. Let’s take a quick look at the main differences between these two methods.
The quantitative method relies entirely on numbers and statistics. Your task is to find patterns and come to a conclusion by analyzing a large amount of data. This type of nursing research is as structured and objective as possible. These are the quantitative method characteristics:
- Sources of information are polls, reviews, records, documents.
- The deductive methodology involved.
- As objective as possible.
- The main content is numbers and data.
- Validity depends on the selected analysis tools.
The qualitative method, on the contrary, is a reflection of the author’s thoughts and conclusions. It depends entirely on the depth of understanding of the problem and the existing materials on the nursing thesis topics. The task of the researcher is to analyze previous works and create their theory through reflection. Check the qualitative method characteristics:
- Sources of information: focus groups, document reviews, interviews.
- The inductive process is involved.
- The subjective opinion of the author is allowed.
- The main content is text and reflections.
- Validity depends on the skill of the author.
You can check lists of topics for nursing research ideas in these spheres below!
Qualitative Nursing Research Topics
Qualitative analysis is a complex but critical aspect of medical practice. Nursing qualitative research topics are designed for students to develop skills of analyzing challenging issues and make proper conclusions:
- The role of technology in improving the quality of nursing care.
- Empowering nurses to prescribe: advantages and disadvantages.
- The problem of equality between doctors and nurses.
- Nursing stereotypes.
- Issues of accreditation of medical schools.
- The problem of systemic racism in the healthcare system.
- How nursing has changed in the 20th and 21st centuries.
- The importance of nursing staff in primary care.
- Priority of cancer in adults.
- Advantages and disadvantages of qualitative research in nursing.
These qualitative nursing research topics can help you improve your analytical skills significantly!
Quantitative Nursing Research Topics
Quantitative type of scientific work is all about statistics, percentages, and numbers. Prepare yourself to analyze tons of information with these nursing quantitative research topics:
- Evaluation of the effectiveness of primary patient care.
- The leading causes of heart disease.
- Analysis of the efficacy of telemedicine.
- The problem of an overabundance of information noise in the modern world.
- Evaluation of methods of assistance in suicide attempts.
- Statistical analysis of the benefits of diets.
- Causes of mental illness in women.
- Using unconventional methods to treat diabetes.
- Benefits of probiotics for treating diarrhea.
- Methods for assessing pain in critically ill patients.
For a successful paper, it’s importnt to pick a good research topics for nursing students based on quantitative evidence.
How to choose a Nursing Research Topic?
Choosing a quality nursing research topic idea can be a daunting task. This is mainly because the variety of possible options is simply too large. But don’t worry, here are some simple tips to help you choose the theme that’s right for you!
📜 Remove large-scale topics. You should not waste your energy on massive topics. Instead, choose narrow evidence-based ideas that allow you to focus on one issue.
📜 Use personal experience. One cannot be informed in all aspects of medicine. So when you write about a topic you have no experience with, you risk getting bogged down in hours of tedious research. Try to remember what problems you faced yourself. This way, you will already have a basic knowledge of the topic.
📜 Review literature. A large amount of ready-made research a topic will be an excellent help in writing about it. Try to do a systematic nursing topics review to find more examples. This does not mean that you should copy the work of another medic. On the contrary, it will be a good opportunity for you to highlight additional information. Therefore, before choosing from easy nursing research topics, look at how much information is already in the public domain.
Process of Nursing Research
What is the process of nursing research? Oh, that’s a tricky question. Let’s look at the main stages you need to go through!
✨ Define the research problem. To solve a problem, you first need to find it. That is why the first thing you should do is choose a nursing research question. If you have any experience with the topic, that will be a big plus!
✨ Develop hypothesis. Now, you need to think and create your theory. It can be of any form. The main thing is to make a connection between the data pieces and find a pattern. Of course, the hypothesis must be consistent with the current nursing research topics.
✨ Literature review. Before you start writing, it’s important to tighten your knowledge of the central thesis of the topic you’ve selected. Try reading other people’s research, finding the statistics you want, and just surfing the internet.
✨ Prepare an outline. It is essential to formulate a plan for your work before you start working on it. The more detailed you describe each paragraph of your article, the less time you will need to write it. Quality work begins with a quality plan!
✨ Conduct research. Now you start the longest and most important part of the whole nursing project. You should delve deeper into the problem and find the information you need. Everything that you write should help you prove your hypothesis in one way or another.
✨ Make a conclusion and develop further recommendations. After you have processed all the material, it is time to write a conclusion. Here, you must indicate whether you have succeeded in proving the hypothesis and recommend the application for your scientific work.
Congratulations, you did it! Writing a good paper is not that difficult. It all depends on a well-chosen research topic in the nursing field; luckily, you have a list of 350 topics to look through in this article! You can find more nursing research ideas on our website!
❓ What Is Translational Research in Nursing?
Translational research is a kind of scientific work, and its task is to transform theory into new practical approaches. In other words, discoveries made in laboratories become the basis for creating a new actionable framework in nursing.
❓ What Is an Example of a Clinical Question?
The clinical question is an integral part of your scientific work. It can relate to categories such as the cause of the problem, the manifestation of the disease in the patient, possible solutions, and potential results. A well-formulated clinical question helps you write a quality article.
❓ How to Determine Level of Evidence in Nursing Research?
Several criteria determine the level of evidence in nursing research. These include quality of design, validity, and applicability of results to patient care. Therefore, you should constantly monitor the reliability of your sources and the correctness of your conclusions.
❓ What Are Some Controversial Issues in Nursing?
In modern nursing, there are some controversial issues, mainly of an ethical nature. Such problems include the issue of vaccination of people who are against it, artificial nutrition, opioid addiction, and others. There is a lively discussion about how to act correctly in some instances and what factors the decision may depend on.